The treatment is lovely. The field has built up, so that the television crackles, and most of those who are not being treated feel a kind of tension, even bad headaches. I just feel that the air seems different in the room. More lively. Naledi feels very supported - but what can we do, of any real value? I can normally think of something, but here, little. She is such a good person, and any community would be blessed to have her at its heart. Something very sad about the loss of connection, such that this is possible.
Tumelo’s hands are twisting. I wonder if he is worrying about the damage to Naledi’s house, but he says no. He is thinking about the things he used to do - Karate - he was a green belt - the things he used to dream of achieving - will he be able to do them after all? And he is thinking of his children - four children, three mothers, all avoiding him. I suggest that if he models the behaviour he would like to see from them, it may happen. I tell him that when I want my son to clean his room, I clean my own. It is the best I can manage, and true. I hope it works.
A friend of Danielle and Michaela's, international musician Guy Buttery, plays for us during the treatment - http://www.guybuttery.co.za/. Next week, he will be in London, and I will still be here. We talk of flamenco, of the mix of anarchy and discipline. It feels very special to be sitting in this small group, with so much excellence. Fine spirits. All of us here thinking dreaming and plotting as to how we can get this out into he world. How can we be the best ambassadors? This treatment has been stuck for so long. We want it out. We are fed up with politicians‘ promises - want action. Some hopeful words - once we have results, if they are as we hope they will be, we may be able to get this taken up by one of the big companies. One will be enough...In the meantime, we plot - there are so many people who would like to be treated, and all we need is some money to fund that. Not a lot. Even in South Africa, where anti-retroviral are made available at the lowest prices, and where life expectancy after an HIV diagnosis is comparatively short, the cost of treatment is crippling. We could cut that to a fraction, and treat in areas where medical help is not available, and treat those who cannot take ARVs, for example because they are mal-nourished.
We dream of treatments in the centre of Durban - big, at different times of the day. We know how we could do them, and how to let people know that this is available. And also, treatment at a rural centre, where almost everyone is infected. Again, we know how. Just let us get at it. It would take a few thousands of pounds to affect the lives of a couple of hundred people - and then we could get the employers, the politicians, the health insurers, to pay attention.
When we get back, there is a message from Miyere, the Maasai warrior, who is making his vision of a peace walk through Africa come alive. He wants HIVEX throughout Africa.


This is very wonderful and welcome the ideas to e shared with our project http://bunabumali.org
ReplyDeleteWhat an inspiring project!......Wishing you all great heaing and hoping that this really gets the support it needs to get out into the world.
ReplyDeleteMany Blessings
Ammaprema Grace
Thank you for your kind words. It makes a difference, please keep supporting us, we're working hard to get this off the ground.
ReplyDeleteThe HIVEX team.