Friday, 23 July 2010

Who Are We?


Anna

I work with inventors, helping bring inventions into the world.  I have been supporting HIVEX for many years, working with those involved as they have tried to get the treatment approved for full use. This year, I wanted to see what I could do to help unblock things. I founded the charity, Lifestride, to support work with people with HIV and have brought us together to record treatment with the latest tests.


Cameron

I brought HIVEX to South Africa in 2000. I chose South Africa because it seemed to me that this was where we need it most. I have stayed here for more than ten years, working on bringing the HIVEX treatment to full use through times when the task seemed hopeless, because I feel a sense of responsibility to the technology, to the people here - I think that this is an extraordinary treatment, and we need it here in South Africa.





Michaela



When I first heard about HIVEX I knew I had to do something.  In 2008 I came to South Africa with my daughter, Danielle. with the intention to make a film showing people being treated by the HIVEX  machine.  Due to lack of time and funds then we didn't manage to do that then but instead made a film about people making a difference and Being the change in relation to HIV and poverty (The Starfish principle) Now this July 2010 it IS happening. People are being filmed having the HIVEX treatment. I see my role here as the health practitioner holding the space for the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well being of those being treated. I now live in Cape Town and am a volunteer for HIVEX assisting in making this widely available to everyone.




Danielle  

I studied film-making at the University of Cape Town and have loved South Africa ever since. I spent 6 months working in Malawi recently, where I saw the crippling effects of HIV. The average life expectancy has halved in Malawi since HIV – to a shocking 31 years. I am very happy to be given the opportunity to film this exciting project.





Alaena

I am a creative artist – expressing myself through visual art/sound/voice/music, therapeutic arts and writings on the human condition. I have lived with HIV for over 10 years. It is a very small part of my life. The most difficult aspect of being HIV has been the "Stigma", A major part of my healing is eradicating the effects of fear attached to HIV !
My health is superb – I have been on anti-retro-virals' for just over 7 years. I am at a new horizon in my life. HIV belongs to my past, and this is a perfect time to leave it behind. 








Clive

I am an author, motivational speaker, and life skills teacher. I encourage people to find the gift in all adversity. I was diagnosed with HIV in 2005 and whilst this has presented moments of extreme challenge it has transformed my life positively rather than detracting from it.







Tumelo 

I am a Zulu South Africa, and I live in a township in Durban. In 2008 I was very sick and I went to the clinic to get tested, and found out that I was HIV+.  I was shocked by the news because I thought it was just flu. I am very happy with this new treatment.






Naledi

My home is here, in KwaZulu Natal. Eleven years ago I found out that I was HIV+. It wasn't good news for me but the support I got from my family and the family I am working for was amazing.  I am happy and grateful to be in this new treatment. 



 


For more information on HIVEX please see our website: http://www.hivex-treatment.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment